Today, we embark on a quest to explore the challenges and triumphs of creating delicious meals that cater to the needs of those living with diabetes.
For many individuals diagnosed with diabetes, embracing a balanced and healthy diet becomes an essential aspect of their everyday lives. The task at hand may seem daunting, as it involves navigating a culinary maze that requires careful consideration of ingredients, portion sizes, and cooking techniques. Yet, with the right knowledge, creativity, and a sprinkle of culinary magic, eating in a diabetic-friendly way can become not only achievable but also an immensely satisfying experience.
We understand that each individual's journey with diabetes is unique, with varying nutritional requirements, preferences, and challenges. Therefore, our recipes and insights aim to cater to a diverse range of needs, whether you're newly diagnosed, managing diabetes for years, or supporting a loved one on their journey.
So, let's embark on this adventure together. Fasten your aprons, ignite your stovetops, and let's embrace the delicious possibilities that lie ahead! This recipe, Grilled Chicken with Lemon-Herb Quinoa, offers a balanced combination of lean protein from the grilled chicken and whole grains from the quinoa. The lemon and herbs add a refreshing flavor without adding excessive sodium or sugar. Remember to adjust the portion size and ingredients based on your specific dietary needs and consult with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian if you have any concerns or questions about managing your diabetes. Enjoy your meal!
Grilled Chicken with Lemon-Herb Quinoa
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Rinse the quinoa under cold water to remove any bitterness. In a medium saucepan, combine the quinoa and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the quinoa is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the chicken. Season the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and half of the minced garlic. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon over the chicken and let it marinate for 10-15 minutes.
- Grill the chicken breasts for about 6-8 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C). Cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of the chicken breasts. Remove from the grill and let them rest for a few minutes.
- In a small skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the remaining minced garlic, dried thyme, and dried rosemary. Sauté for about 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Fluff the cooked quinoa with a fork and transfer it to a mixing bowl. Pour the herb-infused oil over the quinoa and mix well to combine. Squeeze the juice of the remaining half lemon over the quinoa and stir.
- Slice the grilled chicken breasts into thin strips.
- Serve the lemon-herb quinoa on plates and top with the sliced grilled chicken. Garnish with fresh parsley.
While diabetes presents its own set of challenges, such as monitoring blood sugar levels and making informed dietary choices, it should not mean compromising on the joys of food and it shouldn’t hold you back from living your life to the fullest.
Our goal is to help you simplify diabetes whether that be in your diet, your daily testing, or in finding the support you need though community groups and discussions.